Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Most Important and Influencial Person in All of History

As Christians, we acknowledge Jesus as the most important and influential person in all of human history. But how can we go on to describe the utterly immense influence He has had on us? Can any of us give a full account of the significance of Christ in our lives in just a few paragraphs? The Apostle John wrote that the world itself could not contain all of the books that could be written about all that Jesus had done (John 21:25). I suppose the same could be said for what Jesus has done in my life and in the life of every Christian. And so as I undertake to say a few things about Christ’s influence on my life, know that I am burdened by my limited ability to do it in a manner that accurately portrays the magnitude of that influence.

Apart from Christ, we are all inclined to seek fulfillment in idols. Whether we seek fulfillment in the idols of money, career, material possessions, relationships, religion, drugs, alcohol, or whatever else, idols allure us with promises of happiness and fulfillment. They claim to have the power to deliver us from life’s difficulties. Yet they never deliver on their promises. In the end we end up reaping the negative consequences that come when we pursue fulfillment apart from Christ. This is the story of my life before God saved me. I searched for fulfillment in all the wrong places and was held captive to whatever I thought would help me escape the difficulties I experienced in life. But Christ has set me free. Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins and rose from the dead to give me new spiritual life. He has granted me forgiveness through His death on the cross. He has given me a gift of righteousness through His sinless life. He has cleansed me of my guilt and gives me grace to live in ways that bring glory to Him.

There is no figure in all of history who is more compelling than Jesus Christ. The person and work of Christ are breathtaking. He alone is all-satisfying. He alone is the One in whom true joy can be found. Through His life, death, and resurrection He has brought about the redemption of His people to the praise of His ineffable glory. This is all something to which Christ opened my eyes and inclined my heart with the result that I now rejoice in the life-transforming power of His gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment