Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Alister Begg on the Manhattan Declaration

There are several Christians for whom I have the utmost respect who have signed their names to the Manhattan Declaration (J. Ligon Duncan, Wayne Grudem, Tim Keller, J. I. Packer, Bryan Chapell, Al Mohler, and others). But as I read the Manhattan Declaration, I couldn't sign it in good conscience. Alister Begg has very eloquently given his own convictions on this issue. This is the same reason I initially didn't feel comfortable signing the document.

Begg writes:
Why then have I chosen not to append my name as one of the initial signers? Because of my convictions about the nature of the Gospel, and the importance of Christian co-belligerency being grounded in it. The activity of the Christian as a citizen engaging in co-belligerency over civic and moral issues is not the same as the declaration of Christians mutually recognizing the reality of each other’s faith.
You can read Alister Begg's entire statement here: http://www.truthforlife.org/resources/article/manhattan-declaration/.

You can download and read the Manhattan Declaration here: http://www.manhattandeclaration.org/.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to both you and P. Begg. Good timing. I had planned on reading and signing the document tonight. I would hope that too have the discernment to see to the heart of the issue, but with so many reformed point men on the roll who knows.

    Of all those on the list, Begg’s cool-headedness would have made him a last choice if I had to guess who didn’t sign it. Begg is neck and neck with P. Mabry, our pastor, as Beaner’s favorite preacher.

    Is this a clear enough indicator that pragmatism has a stranglehold on the Church? I love the Gospel much more than I despise same-sex marriage! I won’t be signing either.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete