Friday, February 12, 2010

The Doctrine Which Requires Special Emphasis in Our Day: The Gospel

The doctrine that requires special emphasis in our day is the gospel. Our ministry should be characterized by the centrality of the gospel for believers and unbelievers alike. Much preaching and teaching within the evangelical church is law-centered rather tan gospel-centered. Of couse, God's law is wonderful and we experience great blessing when we obey it. But without the power to keep the law that comes through the life-transforming power of the gospel, the law only brings guilt and condemnation. Too often the gospel is seen only as the way into the kingdom of God and not as the way to live out our faith. Once we're in through the gospel, Christianity becomes all about trying harder to do what God calls me to do. When I fail, I feel guilty and begin to have a sense that I'm not pleasing God. The good news of the gospel is that God forgives me and gives me the gift of Christ's righteousness so that I no longer have to feel guilty. This frees me up to seek Him to save me from the sins with which I continue to struggle. When I have a law-centered mindset, on the other hand, I only feel guilty, like God is displeased with me. Therefore, I think, I cannot come to God until I get my act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment